Friday, September 11, 2009

Do You Remember?

Today is September 11, 2009. It's amazing the things that you remember and the things that you forget. Sometimes I can't remember what I had for dinner last night, but there are some things that happen that I will never forget. I remember what I was doing when John Kennedy was assinated. I remember what I was doing when Martin Luther King was assinated. I remember what I was doing when Bobby Kennedy was assinated. And I remember what I was doing on September 11, 2001 when 2,993 people were killed as we were attacked on our own soil. I remember it like it was yesterday.

When I left my house for my morning run, it was dark. By the time I got back, the sky was several shades lighter than dark. As I walked around the cul de sac to cool off, I could see some of my neighbors TVs on in their kitchens. I opened the door, stepped into my kitchen and immediately into what seemed like a horror movie.

Ted was standing staring at the little TV that we kept on the kitchen counter. "What's wrong?", I asked as I moved past him to look at the tv. He didn't answer and I looked at the screen. There, right in front of me, was an image of the World Trade Center towers. One of them was on fire, somewhere midway up. "A plane flew into one of the World Trade Center towers", Ted told me. Numbly I watched as another plane entered the screen from the right and plowed right into the other tower. "What is this?", I moaned. "What's happening?" "What's going on?". As the morning unfolded, it became apparent that we were under the worst attack in history.
As details became known, I realized that the mayhem did not affect New York alone, but included attempts in Washington and Pennsylvannia.

On that day, 8 years ago, life changed forever. No matter how safe we felt before that day, we would never feel that safe again. Life changed for me, yes, but I can only imagine how much more life changed for the familes of those mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, husbands, wives, and friends that went to work one day and never came home.
I did not know anyone who perished that day but I think of them often and this morning I said a special prayer for their families who, I'm sure, are missing them even more on this day.

May God keep us all safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

When entering your comments, Select Name/URL or Anonymous in the "Comment As" box.

If you use Name/URL, enter your name and your email in the URL box if you'd like a reply. If you don't care to leave your email enter anything in the URL box but it must be completed.

If you use Anonymous, end the comment with your name so that I'll be able to address you if you need a response. Thanks