Monday, August 10, 2009

25 Things To Do When I Retire

Several years before I retired, my mother asked me, "What will you do when you retire?" I was so looking forward to retiring and talked to her a lot about it. I could hear the rest of her question though unuttered. "Won't you be bored?--What will you do with your time?"

"Mom, I have so many things I have not been able to do", I answered. "There probably aren't enough hours in even a retired day to do all of the things I want to do". Here's a start in no particular order:

1. Take piano lessons
2. Travel
3. Spend uninterrupted quality time with my husband
4. Work on my scrapbooks
5. Volunteer to help adults learn to read
6. Volunteer at a soup kitchen
7. Teach free yoga classes
8. Learn to make ceramics
9. Take an anatomy class
10. Read a book a week
11. Take dancing lessons
12. Ride a bicycle century (100 miles)
13. Get certified at the 500-hour yoga teacher level
14. Write a book
15. Research our family geneology
16. Learn quilting
17. Take a photography class
18. Walk a marathon for a good cause (breast cancer, leukemia, sickle cell anemia, etc)
19. Play with my grandkids
20.Take an art class
21. Get really, really good at Scrabble
22. Learn to do crosswords
23. Take Spanish classes
24. Take cooking classes
25. Get certified as a professional organizer.

Of course, I didn't give her this long list. I only mentioned a few. She was flabbergasted. My mother has always been one to focus on the family. I noticed that growing up and also noticed how our growing up left her rather empty--with not a lot of purpose left. I always said that I would not let that happen to me. I would have a life, while being a good mom and wife. And so it is, I have been blessed with a life that has been busy and full beyond measure. And now, God willing, I have the time to do more of the things I have not yet had a chance to do.

I believe the list will grow with time and who knows, some things may fall off as I move along this continuum called retirement. If an item falls off, I have a feeling it will be replaced with something more meaningful to me.

What's calling you?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deanie,
    I thought that I knew most of the things on your list however, biking & taking an art class is new to me. Our bikes are in the garage and yours is already tuned up to go.
    Your organized husband,Ted

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?

When entering your comments, Select Name/URL or Anonymous in the "Comment As" box.

If you use Name/URL, enter your name and your email in the URL box if you'd like a reply. If you don't care to leave your email enter anything in the URL box but it must be completed.

If you use Anonymous, end the comment with your name so that I'll be able to address you if you need a response. Thanks