Tuesday, August 18, 2009

What A Day!

Today was a difficult day. I woke up early with a plan for the day and had it absolutely upended by a crisis that had been waiting to happen forever.

What the crisis was is not important. What is important is how it absolutely turned everything topsy turvy. It's funny how things can change in the blink of an eye.

I woke up at 7:00 am, got out of bed, made coffee, opened the blinds in my bedroom and got back under the covers. I contemplated the beauty of the back yard and the pruning that Ted and I had completed last week and waited for the beep of the coffee maker. When it did so, I hopped out of bed and rushed for that first delicious cup of coffee.

Two cups of coffee later and I'd decided how I'd start my day. I washed my face, brushed my teeth and got out my new book "Strength Training Over 50--Stay Fit And Fabulous". Today I would start training with weights. For weeks I've been threatening to start weight training so that my arms could look like Michelle Obama's. Today was the day!

Out in the garage I found my hand weights against the back wall. I picked the 3 and 5 lb. weights for a beginning. Leave the 5 and 10 lb. weights for next week. I lugged the weights into my scrapbooking/yoga room, set them down on the floor and reached for my yoga mat.

At that moment, the phone rang and my day changed in an instant. Sometimes it happens that way. Someone else's crisis becomes your crisis. Someone else's dream gets slammed up against reality and you have to help pick up the pieces. Someone tries to help another and inadvertently hurts that person and you have to help pick up the pieces. Someone just needs someone to talk to.

So, my day changed. So what? That's what family is for. Michelle Obama can sigh a sigh of relief. I will not be chasing those gorgeous arms today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

When entering your comments, Select Name/URL or Anonymous in the "Comment As" box.

If you use Name/URL, enter your name and your email in the URL box if you'd like a reply. If you don't care to leave your email enter anything in the URL box but it must be completed.

If you use Anonymous, end the comment with your name so that I'll be able to address you if you need a response. Thanks