Sunday, August 9, 2009

Getting Healthy

OK - this is it! I retired in June of 2007, moved across country from the San Francisco Bay area to North Carolina, with my husband, Ted, bought a new home and almost finished opening boxes, visited with my grandchildren, embarked on several trips with my husband, and gained 10 pounds!

When I was working it seemed easier to maintain a schedule of working out (walking and yoga) which kept my weight in check for the most part. Now that I'm retired, it's as if I have lost all disclipine. I don't want to get up at the crack of dark anymore--I'll do it later in the day. Well, later never comes and I'm now what I call "lazy", loving nothing more than sitting on the screened-in back porch with my morning coffe instead of starting the day with yoga or the treadmill at the gym.

The scale is showing the result and at this rate, I will be 200 pounds by 2013 (I did the math). I cannot let that happen. My health is too important to me. If I want to live to be a "vibrant" 100 years old--This is not the way to do it.

So tomorrow starts a new lease on life - fitness, hobbies, spiritual growth, the nurturing of my 36-year relationship with my life partner--all of the items that make a person whole. Don't worry self, it will be a day at a time--no more of this blasting out of the box and then crashing and burning--I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?

When entering your comments, Select Name/URL or Anonymous in the "Comment As" box.

If you use Name/URL, enter your name and your email in the URL box if you'd like a reply. If you don't care to leave your email enter anything in the URL box but it must be completed.

If you use Anonymous, end the comment with your name so that I'll be able to address you if you need a response. Thanks